Thursday 5 December 2013

Police: Search for baby in trash can comes up empty

City police say anonymous caller reported baby placed in trash
BALTIMORE —City police said they have come up empty-handed in a search for a baby after an anonymous caller reported that a baby was placed in the trash.
Police said the call came in at 8:46 a.m. Wednesday. The caller told police a baby was placed in the trash at the intersection of Harlem and North Carrollton avenues.

Officers immediately arrived on scene and conducted a thorough search of the location with the assistance of Department of Public Works a baby was not found.
"I think it's crazy, but it needs to be done to find out if there's a baby or not because I'm concerned. If there is, I would've done the same thing if I was the commissioner. Pull the truck out. Let's look through the trash," Steele said.
Police officers and sanitation workers went through the tedious process of going through all of the trash bag by bag. Homicide detectives were on the scene, knocking on doors and trying to track down any leads. Shantera Johnson said they questioned her about her 10-month-old son.
"I said, 'Why would I throw my baby in the trash can?' I thought they were crazy when they asked me that," Johnson said. "I had to literally take them upstairs to show them my baby so they can make sure I have a baby."
After hours of searching and going through an entire trash truck finding nothing, they called it quits. Neighbors who watched the whole thing unfold are wondering if it was all a hoax.
"If it's a hoax, I feel like it just crushes my heart because we're out here concerned and want to know what's going on in our neighborhood to make sure everything's safe," Jasmine said.
They agree the city had to take the call seriously and perform a full search.
"It's a waste of time. Then you got officers out here that's wasting time. Then, the city's out there that's picking the trash up," Warren Morris said.
"Whoever called it in, should be prosecuted. Man, they spent a lot of time and effort. People really care about stuff. It ain't right," David Newman said.
"The Baltimore Police Department takes every call for service serious and we're going to investigate every single call for service until it's concluded," Detective Brandon Echevarria said.

No comments:

Post a Comment